A few weeks ago I visited the amazing blog Downsideup.be (sometimes in English, sometimes in Dutch) where Julie had written some articles about the adventures of Pete Bernhard and The Devil Makes Three. In this article she also wrote about her encounter with Van Tastik and that got me triggered so I wanted to find out more about him.
The first song I listened to was Drag Me To Hell and I got blown away instantly. Van plays some dark Delta Blues that makes you goosebump where you never goosebumped before. Reverend Van's music tells the tales of darkness and turmoil and in his music and in his voice you can just hear that he already experienced some really life-changing events.
Drag Me To Hell is a dark song with lyrics that chill you to the bone. But it's also god damned beautiful and I am grateful that I got to discover Van's music.
Lyrics :
Take me by the hand And tell me that you love me Tell me that I'm your man And that you'll never leave me Tell me that you want me Yeah Then cast me to the ground Tell me that you need me And stab me when I turn around
You've got me in your vice grip Baby yeah
You've got me in your vice grip Baby yeah
You've got me in your vice grip Baby yeah
Take me by the hand And take me to the gates Tell me that I'm a coward Because I won't wait Oh you leave me In a pool of my own blood Darling I ain't against a little pain But you're making my skull numb
You've got me in your vice grip Baby yeah You've got me in your vice grip Baby yeah You've got me in your vice grip Baby yeah
KAREL GOTT - ROT UND SCHWARTZ A mind can play crazy tricks on you. I'll rephrase that : my mind can play crazy tricks on me. During the corona-lockdowns I frequently tuned in to Ready, Steady, Stay In ! This was an online event that was put together by Bill Kapelj aka Bill Carson where dj's from around Europe played 30 minutes sets with the more alternative music from the 60's. On one of the sets I heared Rot Und Schwartz by Karel Gott and for some reason I thought that this was the original version of Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones. It has this old and traditional sound with a Slavic twist. This song clearly had to be older than the version of The Stones. Perhaps I linked it to Frank Sinatra's My Way that originally was a French song (Comme d'Habitude) by Claude Francois. But looking into it a bit closer soon learned that the credits for the song belonged to The Rolling Stones. Karel Gott (known as The Golden Voice of Prague 1939-2019) recorded the German ...
PETER ARNOUT - SHALL WE KILL IT Last Sunday I was invited by Daithi Rua, an Irish (based in Belgium) singer songwriter and the host of the magnificent Rua Room , to attend a Rua Room showcase. It was a special edition for Daithi's birthday featuring Hondshaai , Bob Theil , Eve's Garden , Allen Temple (check out these artists, they are amazing !) and the highlighted artist Peter Arnout. After following his work for some time now I finally got the chance to see him perform live. And it was amazing. The whole bar was hanging on the man's lips. Everybody got enchanted by the way he played his guitar, not just being an instrument but an extention of his body giving him a way of expressing himself not only by voice but also by playing his guitar. In the audience (and you can't proof it was me) you could see tears appearing in some people's eyes. I was listening with mixed feelings, one part of me was enjoying the show to the fullest, the other part was cursing myself ...
SAUN BANKS - COCKROACH If you are more fortunate than I am and you are in the Slovenian area, find your way to Rogaska Slatina tomorrow. Some cool friends of mine (they are a bit crazy but awesome) are organising Monosus II , the second edition of a one-man band festival. And on their line-up they have Saun Banks. Saun Banks is a one-man band project who comes from the ancient mining town of Idrija. He gets his energy from punkrock, takes the soul from the blues and melts it together to his own kind of garage rock.In his music you can feel the mixture of the countryside and urban industy. Influenced by artists like Robert Johnson, The Black Keys and The White Stripes he created his own sound. At his shows you can experience the true meaning of a one-man band. He plays guitar, drums and he sings but meanwhile he also plays the organ. Cockroach is a song about ... cockroaches. Not only those who want to start the occasional war, but also those who are hidden in our society. ...
Reacties
Een reactie posten