I've always loved this Townes Van Zandt song. So why do I write about Pete's version of it ? (yes, I could hear you thinking out loud). Well, there's a story about it.
Somewhere in February I got asked if I was interested in hosting Pete Bernhard (of The Devil Makes Three) for a show in The Black Flamingo. I had to crawl back up from the ground (because I had fallen of my chair) before I could say yes. The Devil Makes Three is a big thing and Pete wanted to play at my little venue ? For a while I thought I was dreaming. In fact it felt like I was dreaming until I got to pick up Pete and his fiance at the train station.
They always warn you about meeting your heroes but in Pete's case it was great. He's one of the most charming and friendly people I've met.
During the shows I always try to film one full song of every artist that comes here. The moment I started filming Pete started playing Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold. The circle was round !! So I'm proud that I can put my own video here. It's just phone quality but it's a great deal to me.
If you want to read more about the Belgian adventures of Pete and The Devil Makes Three I can recommend you this great blog : Downsideup.be
Lyrics :
Well the wicked king of clubs awoke And it was to his queen turned His lips were laughing as they spoke His eyes like bullets burned
The sun's upon a gambling day His queen smiled low and blissfully Let's make some wretched fool to play Plain it was she did agree
He send his deuce down into diamond His four to hart, and his trey to spade Three kings with their legions come Preparations soon where made
They voted club the days commander Gave him an army face and number All but the outlaw jack of diamonds And the aces in the sky
Well, he gave his sevens first instructions Spirit me a game of stud Stakes unscarred by limitation Between a man named Gold and man named Mud
Club filled Gold with greedy vapors Till his long, green eyes did glow And Mud was left with the sighs and trembles Watching his hard earned money go
Flushes fell on Gold like water Tens they paired and paired again But the aces only flew through heaven And the diamond jack called no man friend
Now, the Diamond Queen saw Muds ordeal Began to think of her long lost son Fell to her knees with a mother's mercy And prayed to the angels every one
Now, the Diamond Queen, she prayed and prayed And the Diamond Angel filled Muds hole The wicked King of Clubs himself Fell in face down in front of Gold
Now, three kings come to Clubs command But the angels from the sky did ride Three kings up on the streets of Gold Three fireballs on the muddy side
The club queen heard her husband's call But Lord, that Queen of Diamond's joy When the outlaw in the heavenly hall Turned out to be a wandering boy
Now, Mud he checked and Gold bet all And Mud he raised and Gold did call And the smile just melted on his face When Mud turned over that diamond ace
Now, here's what this story's told If you feel like Mud you'll end up Gold If you feel like lost, you'll end up found So amigo, lay them raises down
KAREL GOTT - ROT UND SCHWARTZ A mind can play crazy tricks on you. I'll rephrase that : my mind can play crazy tricks on me. During the corona-lockdowns I frequently tuned in to Ready, Steady, Stay In ! This was an online event that was put together by Bill Kapelj aka Bill Carson where dj's from around Europe played 30 minutes sets with the more alternative music from the 60's. On one of the sets I heared Rot Und Schwartz by Karel Gott and for some reason I thought that this was the original version of Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones. It has this old and traditional sound with a Slavic twist. This song clearly had to be older than the version of The Stones. Perhaps I linked it to Frank Sinatra's My Way that originally was a French song (Comme d'Habitude) by Claude Francois. But looking into it a bit closer soon learned that the credits for the song belonged to The Rolling Stones. Karel Gott (known as The Golden Voice of Prague 1939-2019) recorded the German ...
PETER ARNOUT - SHALL WE KILL IT Last Sunday I was invited by Daithi Rua, an Irish (based in Belgium) singer songwriter and the host of the magnificent Rua Room , to attend a Rua Room showcase. It was a special edition for Daithi's birthday featuring Hondshaai , Bob Theil , Eve's Garden , Allen Temple (check out these artists, they are amazing !) and the highlighted artist Peter Arnout. After following his work for some time now I finally got the chance to see him perform live. And it was amazing. The whole bar was hanging on the man's lips. Everybody got enchanted by the way he played his guitar, not just being an instrument but an extention of his body giving him a way of expressing himself not only by voice but also by playing his guitar. In the audience (and you can't proof it was me) you could see tears appearing in some people's eyes. I was listening with mixed feelings, one part of me was enjoying the show to the fullest, the other part was cursing myself ...
SAUN BANKS - COCKROACH If you are more fortunate than I am and you are in the Slovenian area, find your way to Rogaska Slatina tomorrow. Some cool friends of mine (they are a bit crazy but awesome) are organising Monosus II , the second edition of a one-man band festival. And on their line-up they have Saun Banks. Saun Banks is a one-man band project who comes from the ancient mining town of Idrija. He gets his energy from punkrock, takes the soul from the blues and melts it together to his own kind of garage rock.In his music you can feel the mixture of the countryside and urban industy. Influenced by artists like Robert Johnson, The Black Keys and The White Stripes he created his own sound. At his shows you can experience the true meaning of a one-man band. He plays guitar, drums and he sings but meanwhile he also plays the organ. Cockroach is a song about ... cockroaches. Not only those who want to start the occasional war, but also those who are hidden in our society. ...
Reacties
Een reactie posten