PETE BERNHARD - MR. MUDD AND MR. GOLD

 PETE BERNHARD - MR. MUDD AND MR. GOLD

I've always loved this Townes Van Zandt song.  So why do I write about Pete's version of it ? (yes, I could hear you thinking out loud).  Well, there's a story about it.

Somewhere in February I got asked if I was interested in hosting Pete Bernhard (of The Devil Makes Three) for a show in The Black Flamingo.  I had to crawl back up from the ground (because I had fallen of my chair) before I could say yes.  The Devil Makes Three is a big thing and Pete wanted to play at my little venue ?  For a while I thought I was dreaming.  In fact it felt like I was dreaming until I got to pick up Pete and his fiance at the train station.

They always warn you about meeting your heroes but in Pete's case it was great.  He's one of the most charming and friendly people I've met.

During the shows I always try to film one full song of every artist that comes here.  The moment I started filming Pete started playing Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold.  The circle was round !!  So I'm proud that I can put my own video here.  It's just phone quality but it's a great deal to me.

If you want to read more about the Belgian adventures of Pete and The Devil Makes Three I can recommend you this great blog : Downsideup.be

 


 Lyrics :

Well the wicked king of clubs awokeAnd it was to his queen turnedHis lips were laughing as they spokeHis eyes like bullets burned
The sun's upon a gambling dayHis queen smiled low and blissfullyLet's make some wretched fool to playPlain it was she did agree
He send his deuce down into diamondHis four to hart, and his trey to spadeThree kings with their legions comePreparations soon where made
They voted club the days commanderGave him an army face and numberAll but the outlaw jack of diamondsAnd the aces in the sky
Well, he gave his sevens first instructionsSpirit me a game of studStakes unscarred by limitationBetween a man named Gold and man named Mud
Club filled Gold with greedy vaporsTill his long, green eyes did glowAnd Mud was left with the sighs and tremblesWatching his hard earned money go
Flushes fell on Gold like waterTens they paired and paired againBut the aces only flew through heavenAnd the diamond jack called no man friend
Now, the Diamond Queen saw Muds ordealBegan to think of her long lost sonFell to her knees with a mother's mercyAnd prayed to the angels every one
Now, the Diamond Queen, she prayed and prayedAnd the Diamond Angel filled Muds holeThe wicked King of Clubs himselfFell in face down in front of Gold
Now, three kings come to Clubs commandBut the angels from the sky did rideThree kings up on the streets of GoldThree fireballs on the muddy side
The club queen heard her husband's callBut Lord, that Queen of Diamond's joyWhen the outlaw in the heavenly hallTurned out to be a wandering boy
Now, Mud he checked and Gold bet allAnd Mud he raised and Gold did callAnd the smile just melted on his faceWhen Mud turned over that diamond ace
Now, here's what this story's toldIf you feel like Mud you'll end up GoldIf you feel like lost, you'll end up foundSo amigo, lay them raises down


Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

OFF THE GRID FESTIVAL

JERRY MOTOR - MARY

ALPS. - WANT YOU NOW